<<HTML(<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0;URL=../../../CMV/Research/Color/Videodatabase">)>>
<<HTML(<a href="#" onclick="history.back(); return false;">Back</a>)>>
The University of Oulu Face Video Database
is a unique database collected at the Machine Vision and Media Processing Unit, University of Oulu which contains both color images of faces under different illuminants and camera calibration conditions and videos taken with several cameras. In addition, spectral reflectance of skin for selected persons and the spectral power distribution of illuminants used are provided.
At a glance
- Contains (colour) still images and videos taken with several cameras.
- Videos are taken under real indoor and outdoor illumination conditions.
- Still images (2 person per camera): faces in frontal position captured under Horizon, Incandescent, Fluorescent and Daylight illuminant.
- Includes 3 spectral reflectance of skin for selected persons measured from both cheeks and forehead.
- Contains spectral power distribution of illuminants for still images.
Image Acquisition, Spectral Data and Videos
A still image series of one person contains 16 frontal views each of which are taken under different illuminant calibration conditions by a colour camera.
Four illuminants provided by Macbeth Luminare were used for image acquisition: Horizon, Incandescent (CIE Illuminant A), TL84 Fluorescent, and Daylight (CIE D65).
Images of faces were taken under dark room condition. A gray screen was placed behind the sitting subject and the sides were surrounded by black curtains. Camera was first calibrated under one illuminant then images were taken without changing the camera settings under this and the three other illuminants. The same procedure were done for all illuminants resulting in 16 conditions. Example of the images is shown in Physics-Based Face Database.
Spectral reflectance of facial skin for selected persons were measured in three points (right cheek, forehead and left cheek) from 400nm to 700nm by 10nm steps with a Minolta CM-2002 spectrophotometer. Example of the spectral data is shown in Physics-Based Face Database.
Example of videos and their application for face tracking can be seen at the main page.
Ordering and Other Matters
The UO Face Video Database is available for research and verification purposes upon e-mail request to Prof. Matti Pietikäinen. The access for the files of this database will require a user-name and password. The emails are used only for calculating the number of users.
Please DO note the following remarks:
1. The database is distributed free so it should not be used for economical profit.
2. For legal reasons and for the privacy of the database participants, only those videos or images specially indicated may be used for presentation or publications.
3. All submitted papers (or any publicly available text) that uses the UO Face Video Database must at least mention its name (UO Face video database). The following paper can be cited:
Martinkauppi B, Soriano M, Huovinen S & Laaksonen M (2002) Face video database. Proc. First European Conference on Color in Graphics, Imaging and Vision (CGIV'2002), April 2-5, Poitiers, France, 380-383.
4. THE DATA IS DISTRIBUTED "AS IS", WITH ALL FAULTS. THE DATA ARE PROVIDED WITHOUT WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR ANY OTHER WARRANTY, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED.
Go to download page here. The data was last updated at 11.04.2002. Unfortunately, Nogatech videos 4 and 5 are unavailable.
Martinkauppi B, Soriano M, Huovinen S & Laaksonen M (2002) Face video database. Proc. First European Conference on Color in Graphics, Imaging and Vision (CGIV'2002), April 2-5, Poitiers, France, 380-383. A version of it can be found here.
Martinkauppi B, Soriano M, Laaksonen M (2001) Behaviour of skin color under varying illumination seen by different cameras in different color spaces, Proc. SPIE Vol. 4301 Machine Vision in Industrial Inspection IX ed. M.A. Hunt January 19-26, San Jose California, 102-103.